The Fool
"...and the eyes in his head see the world... spinning 'round."

The Fool

The Places I've Loved

Monday, 27 September 2010, 7:19 AM

I was visiting with my Uncle Vernon, Aunt Pauline, and my cousins this weekend and, as always, the area I live in came up as a topic. My uncle grew up here and now shares a cabin with other members of the family. They come and visit to stay a weekend once in awhile and often I hear how one or the other would love to move back here, that it's great up here.

It is great here. It's quiet, beautiful scenery, and the people are really nice. But it started me thinking about the places I've lived and how each one was a place I loved. I can honestly say I've never lived anywhere that I found to be miserable. Each place that I have lived I found something special enough that I could have spent the rest of my life there.

I grew up in Loudon NH, if you are a Nascar fan you've heard of it. It's a small New England town near the capital of New Hampshire, Concord. Life was good growing up. The Spring always brought great run off that I pretended were rivers that I dammed up and made lakes out of. There was maple syrup cooking in the shack a few hundred feet down the road from us.

Sometimes my parents would take us kids to a maple syrup farm (or maybe we'd go on a school trip), it was a long time ago, but I do remember people dumping buckets of fresh snow on some kind of table and being given a toothpick to roll maple syrup in that was poured on the snow.

Summers I spent fishing with Dad. We'd go to the Capitol lawns at night and catch nightcrawlers with our hands, using flashlights to spot them.

Mostly Dad liked fishing for hornpout, a small catfish. They had barbs you had to be careful of. I got nicked a time or too and Dad would rub the wound on the fish's belly. That was supposed to cure the sting, though I don't recall it helping much.

I'd often spend weekends or even a month with my cousin Allen who was my age. We'd climb trees and go swimming. He had a neighbor, a girl who was a couple years older than us. She introduced us to the Beatles and I remember wishing she would introduce me to other things, but she never did.

In the Fall it was back to school and the trees turning color. There was Halloween to look forward to and after that Thanksgiving.

The winter would come and Mom would make sure we were bundled up. We'd spend the entire day outside on the weekends. There was sledding, and snow forts. Snowball fights and eating snowflakes.

When we moved to Alaska, I was excited about going. Alaska was all about fishing and hiking in the summer. Some of the greatest times I had was catching salmon with the rain pouring down on us. Getting home, we'd change clothes and drink Russian Tea, a concoction of hot Tang and spices (sugar, cinnamon, and cloves I think).

Fall was my favorite time of year. The bugs were pretty much gone, the air was cool but not yet freezing, and the days were still plenty long enough. You could smell the cranberries in the woods and the air was crisp.

Winters there were dark and claustrophobic but there was skiing and snowmobiling. If it weren't for the lack of sunshine, winter would have been great there.

I lived in Spokane WA for awhile. Spokane is the only city around for hundreds of miles and so is a little bit of a cultural center for the high plains desert of the Northwest. I had some really great friends there. I was a little wild then, but it was my age (mostly).

Lodi CA was my home for nearly 25 years. There are basically two seasons in the Central Valley of California. There is summer and then there is rain. The 100 degree heat baked us sun worshipers all summer long. I enjoyed the heat of summer and welcomed the winter rains and chill as the counterpoint to the rest of the year.

Now here I am, back where I came from; less than twenty miles from where I was born and where most of my family originated. It is great here. I could spend the rest of my life here and be content. Of course, if I do find myself somewhere else, I'm sure I would find something to love about being there as well.

Being home is loving where you are, and perhaps that has a little to do with loving who you are and who you spend time with. No matter where I've lived and no matter how fucked up my life seems at times, I always find something special; something to love in the place I find myself living.

The Trackback URL for this entry is:

http://www.publisherdatabase.com/forums/trackback.php?e=688

Post a Reply Page 1 of 3   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

haniel45

View Blog

PostPosted: Friday, 01 October 2010, 17:21 PM    Post subject:    

Great write, Mark!

I know how you feel. I'm originally from Ohio and, because of my husband's career, have lived in Wichita Falls, Texas (during the 1979 tornado), and Houston. Also lived in the very small berg of Catonsville, outside of Baltimore for one year and moved to North Carolina 20 years ago.

I (too) adjusted with each move, so much so that my family nicknamed me "Gypsy".

Even though we had a 2-1/2 y/o child whom we were "taking away" from grandparents, we were excited with the first move. It was an adventure and a blessing in disguise to be able to be exposed to a multi-cultured environment. And, it was a very good move, as far as our son was concerned. He thrived in his new environment and learned patience and tolerance at an early age. It was also good for him, as far as his first career was concerned...he was in the USAF and retired two years ago from the Air Force Academy in Colorado. He and his family knows how to pack lightly and move from location to location very quickly! Smile

Now we're home in North Carolina and loving it, though moving to our small town was quite an adjustment!!

I began my volunteer career because of our move to N.C. I doubt I would have volunteered as much had we stayed in Maryland.

I have maintained friendships with several people I've met over the years, and am grateful for the friends I have here.

As far my family is concerned, we decided years ago, that it's beneficial and a whole lot of fun learning how to adapt, tolerate, and cope with every kind of person and situation known to man!

~ Cindy ~
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Sir Daniel
Contender

View Blog

PostPosted: Wednesday, 06 October 2010, 17:24 PM    Post subject:    

They used to say "home is where you hang your hat" but I've always believed instead that home is where you find people you love.. I'm from the MidWest, however my last trip "home" was over 7 years ago, and the trip before that was 11 years earlier.. although I do love people there, I have grown apart from that area and in all honesty, I would be bored to death if I ever wound up living there again..

Enjoyed your blog alot my friend, great to know a little bit about you.

take care,

~ Daniel
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Maggie

PostPosted: Saturday, 20 November 2010, 8:36 AM    Post subject:    

Wonderful, heart-warming blog!!! Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I love your attitude and positive outlook on life! A lesser person would probably have found things to complain about in your various residences even though they sound warm, welcoming and inviting when hearing about them from your perspective.

I've only lived two places during my 68 years on this earth. I like them both!!! My hometown was idyllic, a small town and I felt blessed to live there. When I turned 22 I moved to Virginia on the ocean because my new husband worked here. We lived one block from the water. I stayed here although he passed away.

I've wanted to travel different places and have done right much of it, but now I've found my home.

Thanks for the lovely read!!!!

Peggy
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
y6u

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10 April 2012, 16:49 PM    Post subject:    

List le monde reconna requin tn big t que la chaussure est en mesure d'effectuer très bien cependant une chose que les femmes absolument vraiment comme sur les baskets, c'est qu'il semble très grande sur les pieds. Je peux attester de la conception tn requin pas cher globale et chaussures regard, TN REQUIN que je re?ois des commentaires genre chaque fois que je le mettre. Les femelles ne cessent de me demander exactement où j'ai obtenu ces nike tn requin paires de chaussures adorables.
Puma Pas Cher C'est vraiment nike air max vraiment une des principales choses que j'apprécie au sujet de la chaussure, ils ont tout simplement regarder vraiment cool ainsi que hip.The Nike Free Quick Fit est vraiment une sneaker incroyable. Les performances que air max 2012 les chaussures a la capacité de l'offre est vraiment remarquable, je n'ai jamais rien vécu de tel qu'il auparavant. En ce qui concerne le confort, le design et l'encours total a air max pas cher également une grande flexibilité.
NIKE TN MAX ce n'est vraiment la chaussure air max pour faire le travail. Simplement parce qu'il est si flexible, il peut être porté à le faire de nombreux types de sports. C'est certainement une sneaker qui femelles devrait vraiment envisager, surtout si elles désirent une chaussure air max pas cher haute performance pour des activités ou le club de santéPas Cher Timberland . La sneaker semble bon et les fonctions vraiment bien air max 90 que pouvez-vous chercher.
Nike free running shoes

PostPosted: Friday, 11 May 2012, 0:24 AM    Post subject:    

Traditional sports nike free run can protect our feet when motion, but it has lost the foot comfort; Barefoot movements are freedom, but they make the great damage to our feet. Now, Cheap Nike Free series can bring the perfect balance, Nike Free On Sale have aroused people's feet to run, make people even like running barefoot in the ground, and at the same time give the most protection for our feet. nike free shoes is the latest epoch-making design by nike, which can let all people benefit from nike free sale Shoes, no matter you are toddler child, or adults.
http:///www.leoch.com

PostPosted: Tuesday, 25 September 2012, 22:29 PM    Post subject:    

deep cycle lead acid batteries
electric toy battery
wheelchairs battery
north face discount

PostPosted: Tuesday, 16 October 2012, 22:59 PM    Post subject:    

The north face discount whispered commanded the drivers to cry, and told him to address drug Cottage, looking back on Father said: "Summer grandfather, drug Cottage was formerly the Xianghai known as the geniuses who said Yantian Nan gentleman's residence, since Yan After the old man died, no successor drug Lu also deserted down barely be called an old building for some years, nothing to stroll. ""Drug Cottage remove that word?" Xia Tianhao asked suddenly."If ... no, still above it." Wu Qiong thought for a moment, and replied with certainty."It north face pink ribbon the old Yan also descendant, but also the level sufficient to tradition his medical skills." Said Xia Tianhao certainly seems to be relieved."Summer Grandpa, you want to look at this is drug Cottage?"
breast cancer north face

PostPosted: Tuesday, 16 October 2012, 23:05 PM    Post subject:    

Please note: Your comment will be visible immediately. Our moderators are notified of every submission. Please adhere to our policies & guidelines to avoid account deletion.
zm123

PostPosted: Friday, 02 November 2012, 21:10 PM    Post subject:    

New calendar: 0098, April 26, 0830 Time, kitchen sounded voices The North Face Coupons, tinkling sound to the armored core squad at the moment of quiet to decorate a sub-ease north face breast cancer jacket, red turban is footed and fiddled with the poached egg on iron plate ready for breakfast and bacon, Victoria, Giroux, meters oak, Galotte,
ninest123

PostPosted: Wednesday, 24 December 2014, 0:22 AM    Post subject:    

The christian louboutin outlet U.N.'s celine handbags World hollister Health mac cosmetics Organization ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia last week declared ray ban,rayban,occhiali ray ban the outbreak barbour uk in sac longchamp pas cher Guinea had iphone 6 cases "stabilized." thomas sabo It has longchamp outlet reported 1,260 deaths swarovski crystal from asics running shoes 2,134 converse outlet cases. Oxfam-France on hogan Thursday, louis vuitton outlet though, chaussure louboutin said kate spade outlet there is little or no reliable information about cheap ugg boots outlet the epidemic in rural areas.

Nearly nike air max a timberland boots year parajumpers outlet since the first ugg patient michael kors outlet online died longchamp outlet in a ray ban uk southeastern north face uk village of Guinea, mont blanc pens at doudoune moncler least canada goose 25 air max villages michael kors outlet in the country's links of london forested and mountainous southeast timberland pas cher still supra shoes refuse oakley,occhiali oakley,oakley italia to allow louis vuitton entry by montre pas cher health workers trying true religion outlet to moncler outlet trace potential baseball bats cases, oakley pas cher according to coach outlet human rights canada goose groups beats by dre at moncler uk a seminar this burberry handbags week.

The hardest-pressed nike roshe run area nike air force in ray ban pas cher Guinea currently is the canada goose outlet southeast town of replica watches Macenta, christian louboutin shoes where France kate spade helped open a new wedding dresses treatment hermes belt center this hollister uk month. French pandora charms Red pandora uk Cross sac hermes official coach outlet Thomas uggs outlet Mauget toms shoes said the first cured patient left Thursday, pandora jewelry but that the child's ralph lauren,polo ralph lauren,ralph lauren outlet,ralph lauren italia,ralph lauren sito ufficiale mother is still being canada goose outlet treated.

He jordan pas cher said gucci,borse gucci,gucci sito ufficiale,gucci outlet the juicy couture outlet center chi flat iron has expanded nike air max uk from michael kors 15 ray ban sunglasses to 36 polo outlet beds in ugg,uggs,uggs canada 10 days. Doctors ray ban sunglasses Without Borders said it polo ralph lauren outlet online treated nike trainers uk 363 patients in six uggs outlet weeks vans,vans scarpe,vans italia before sac vanessa bruno it handed reebok outlet the center tiffany and co jewelry to the vans outlet Red nike free uk Cross p90x workout on wedding dresses Nov. 18.

President nike blazer pas cher Conde louis vuitton said swarovski France has nike air max,air max,air max 2014,nike air max 2014,air max 90,airmax,air max 95,air max 2013,nike air max 90,nike air max 2013 promised hollister pas cher to hollister open three burberry outlet more centers.

View prada outlet galleryPeople hollister,abercrombie,hollister sito ufficiale,abercrombie italia,abercrombie and fitch,abercrombie outlet cheer towards the insanity workout motorcade oakley sunglasses carrying French …

People cheer louis vuitton towards the new balance shoes motorcade bottega veneta carrying French herve leger President Francois Hollande nike air max and guess pas cher his Guinean ugg pas cher count michael kors pas cher

Neighboring jimmy choo outlet Mali north face outlet announced karen millen uk one coach purses Ebola converse,scarpe converse,converse italia,converse sito ufficiale,converse all star patient longchamp outlet has replica watches been cured, nike outlet Health lululemon outlet Minister Ousmane christian louboutin Kone told michael kors outlet online reporters prada handbags Friday. tory burch outlet Mali valentino shoes has gucci handbags recorded true religion jeans a burberry pas cher handful chanel handbags of nike tn cases soccer shoes after sick canada goose people crossed from hollister Guinea.

Meanwhile, the louis vuitton U.S. ugg australia ambassador to Liberia oakley sunglasses said in abercrombie and fitch a telephone interview Friday coach outlet that a nike air max contract nike air max uk will soon louboutin,louboutin outlet,louboutin outlet italia be signed to michael kors outlet allow nfl jerseys Ebola test michael kors outlet online samples and perhaps even nike free patients longchamp pas cher to instyler be flown coach outlet store online by michael kors outlet helicopter babyliss out christian louboutin uk of remote areas. The U.S. moncler,moncler military has canada goose outlet already airlifted giuseppe zanotti outlet rapid-response teams juicy couture outlet of true religion outlet epidemiologists moncler,moncler outlet,moncler sito ufficiale and tiffany and co health officials into hard-to-reach louis vuitton outlet areas, but moncler outlet it canada goose jackets will north face outlet not be marc jacobs outlet transporting polo ralph lauren the blood samples, mulberry uk said cheap jordans Ambassador Deborah ugg boots Malac.

Infection rates are oakley sunglasses wholesale slowing air max,nike air max in converse pas cher Liberia, ferragamo shoes and louis vuitton the nike huarache,nike huaraches,nike air huarache country's government michael kors outlet store has said new balance it hopes lululemon canada for no nike roshe new ugg uk cases by lacoste Christmas. nike roshe run uk Malac moncler cautioned that canada goose uk the disease is abercrombie and fitch uk unpredictable.

"We're ralph lauren uk still lancel getting new cases vans pas cher every day," she said. "None nike free run of us true religion outlet know for sure what louis vuitton will happen. north face All louis vuitton outlet we mcm handbags can to do longchamp uk is louis vuitton continue ghd hair to drive toward soccer jerseys zero."
Post a Reply

Publisher Database Forum Index -> Blogs -> The Fool -> The Places I've Loved