Blogs
Weblogs News

Membership
Register
(It's free!)
Watched Topics
Edit Your Profile

Differences between LULU.COM and Create Space

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home -> Forums -> Getting published -> Differences between LULU.COM and Create Space
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wordworx
Site Admin

votes: 83
Currently Reading: True Ghost Stories of Ireland

PostPosted: Monday, 28 June 2010, 8:42 AM    Post subject: Differences between LULU.COM and Create Space Reply with quote

This excellent dissertation (in which he brings out some very useful information) is by Moderator Wig, folks!

L. E. Nelson Jr.

votes: 10
Posted: Saturday, 05 June 2010 Post subject:
OK, Peggy,

You asked for it and here it is: I have a lot of experience with both LULU and Create Space. Both are valuable, but for different reasons. I published four novels and one non-fiction "how to" book on LULU and found their product nearly flawless. Another good feature with LULU is that they will convert your word file to PDF for free. Keep in mind that what you think you are uploading may not be correct. I would advise you to always click on "print preview" to see if your chapter titles appear where you want them to be. The problem with that lies with the page breaks as you are creating a file. I always go to the end of a chapter and curser down to the bottom of the page and hit Ctrl Enter. This will advance your next chapter and then you will have to hit Bk Sp to bring it back where it should be. Then the PDF will transfer accurately. I have spent hours discovering this flaw in the program and I hope it helps.

Now to Create Space: I have finished another novel (my fifth) that I am most proud of. I published it at LULU, but I limited the availability to only myself, which is an option there. This lets me look at the PDF and make any changes that I need before I actually order a proof.

You're wondering why I'm mentioning LULU when talking about Create Space aren't you? Well, they are both owned by Amazon.com and any books you publish either place appear there. Just go to Amazon.com and click on books and search for Wig Nelson and you will see my books.

Don't buy any yet as I am editing all five novels at present. But soon they will be perfect and I am proud of them. If you order $25.00 worth of books, the shipping is free.

Here's why I prefer Create Space over LULU: If you go Pro ($39.00) with your titles, which I have done with all five of my titles, you only pay about four or five dollars per book and the shipping is pretty reasonable. I can buy five books for about $25.00 and the shipping is about $5.00.

At that rate, I can do a book signing at a local library and make about three or four bucks on a book that sells for $10.00 (Autographed)

The same book shipped to me from LULU would cost me about ten to twelve dollars per book and the shipping is much more expensive.

But to be honest, I find the actual physical product superior in LULU rather than Create Space. Both look great at first, but after reading my latest book, the cover started peeling away with my Create Space proof.

I hope this info helps.

Wig

Maggie

votes: 103
Currently Reading: "Snippets of Life" by Peggy Harwood

PostPosted: Tuesday, 29 June 2010, 8:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy,

Thanks so much for making Wig's wonderful dissertation into a "Sticky Post"!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Peggy

Maggie

PostPosted: Saturday, 15 January 2011, 16:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI folks,

I'm trying to get a book published on Lulu.com

Something to think about: Lulu will not print a picture or illustration in a book unless you give them your copyright number, so if your pictures are gotten off the internet there's a good to almost certain chance they will not print them.

Thought you might like this heads up!!!!!

Peggy Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

Last edited by Maggie on Saturday, 15 January 2011, 20:47 PM; edited 1 time in total
L. E. Nelson Jr.

votes: 19
Currently Reading: The Conga Player's Dues

PostPosted: Saturday, 15 January 2011, 17:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if you use pictures that are public domain, they won't require a copyright number. Roy would know better about such issues as "orphaning" an image - a recent change in copyright law saying that images on the internet are harder to protect due to the "orphaning" legislation.

This was first mentioned to me by my brother-in-law who is the official photographer of the Buffalo Bills. A few years back, he got picture of the year and a $3,000.00 prize for a pic of a defensive back stripping the ball from a receiver at the last second. Quite a photo!

Wig Smile
Maggie

PostPosted: Sunday, 16 January 2011, 8:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wig, how does one know if a photograph is in the public domain on the internet?

Peggy

L. E. Nelson Jr.

PostPosted: Sunday, 16 January 2011, 9:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can search for "royalty free images" I believe. I tried to attach one, but the file was too big.

Wig
Maggie

PostPosted: Sunday, 16 January 2011, 11:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,Wig!!! I'll give it a try!!!!

Peggy

Michelle Obie
Student

Currently Reading: none

PostPosted: Sunday, 13 March 2011, 8:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information do you know how the poetry part work?

L. E. Nelson Jr.

PostPosted: Thursday, 05 April 2012, 4:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the covers peeling. Now, I feel the only advantage to Create Space is the price of the books.

They are about 50% cheaper.
Janice J Kennedy

PostPosted: Thursday, 05 April 2012, 6:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,

For confirming that information, Wig.
I also found that to be true.

~ Jan Smile

zahra71
Glorious Newborn

PostPosted: Saturday, 23 April 2016, 0:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie wrote:
Hi Roy,

Thanks so much for making Wig's wonderful dissertation into a "Sticky Post"!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Peggy

goooooooooooooooooood

kdcab
Glorious Newborn

PostPosted: Friday, 01 June 2018, 5:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

We provide the best jaipur sightseeing taxi with Facilities and healthy Relations for Future Bookings.kdcab is here to provide the best experience of traveling of your trip with reliable and affordable cab service in Jaipur.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home -> Forums -> Getting published -> Differences between LULU.COM and Create Space All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: