Weblogs News

Membership
Register
(It's free!)
Watched Topics
Edit Your Profile

Publisher Database is changing names
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home -> Forums -> Official Stuff -> Publisher Database is changing names
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webmaster
Site Owner

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02 August 2006, 22:38 PM    Post subject: Publisher Database is changing names Reply with quote

Publisher Database is no longer just a database of publishers. Our forums get a lot of use. Our blogs get a TON of use. There is an upcoming feature that will get lots of use, probably because it will pay writers to write.

The point is, we need a new name. One that is friendly, short, and properly conveys the theme of the site ("community resources for writers, artists, poets, and photographers"). Names could be silly, or factual, or whatever else works -- so long as they're short and easily spelled. The important trick is that the name must be available. You can find out by checking here:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/registrar/search.asp

Now, I do have a domain name up my sleeve. I've not bought it yet, so I don't want to say what it is. I'm only 90% happy with it -- it's short and easy to spell, but it sounds writer-specific. So before I settle on that, I want to open it up to others. Does anyone have suggestions? Hopefully we have a member or two who is really good at this kind of thing.

Please post your suggestions! Smile

-Tony

Last edited by webmaster on Monday, 04 September 2006, 19:17 PM; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
haniel45

votes: 37

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02 August 2006, 23:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony

Do you still want to remain ".com". Curious in case I need to check for domain availability. Smile

~ Cindy ~

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. ~ Henry David Thoreau (181762)
webmaster
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02 August 2006, 23:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think I do. In a rare circumstance -- perhaps an amazing domain name -- I would consider otherwise.

-Tony

webmaster
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wednesday, 16 August 2006, 18:11 PM    Post subject: Rename PD to "Creative Jedi" or ??? Reply with quote

OK, gang. Nobody has submitted any names, but "Publisher Database" just isn't going to cut it once the Poem of the Week & Story of the Week launch. The idea for those will be that we will select the best from among us each week, and that one will get a small payment and be featured on the site. Readers will come here to check out these poems & stories.

Going to "Publisher Database" to read the hot poems & stories isn't very sensible. So I'm trying to find something that encompasses everything we do. Unfortunately, creativecommunity.com is already taken, and that's the perfect name. They don't even have a community!

So anyway, here are 4 names. Do you like any of these?

CREATIVEJEDI.COM
CREATIVEFATE.COM
HOTCREATIVITY.COM
GLIMMEROFSUCCESS.COM

-Tony

whitestar_drifter
Wise Old Sage

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wednesday, 16 August 2006, 19:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the creativefate one... but when I think of this website I sort of think about the bard in each of us. So yes of those four that one is the one I prefer.

You can't live life by strict adherence to the rules of society. Cause a little chaos and mayhem... you'll feel better.
Spectre-7
Student

votes: 6
Currently Reading: The Man in the High Castle

PostPosted: Wednesday, 16 August 2006, 19:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the winner is pretty clear:

Alright, all kidding aside - As much as I love (really, truly love) Star Wars, please don't change the name to that, Tony. I promise to come up with some ideas. I'll be a good boy.

Come on, everybody! Let's get some ideas flowing in here!

Brainstorm rules apply. Doesn't matter if you personally think your idea is gold or trash, just share it.

"...no one can teach anyone else to create; at most, we may be taught to read and write. The rest we must teach ourselves, stumbling, falling, and picking ourselves up over and over again." - Mario Vargas Llosa
Cherrera
Student

Reputation: 41.8Reputation: 41.8Reputation: 41.8Reputation: 41.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wednesday, 16 August 2006, 20:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want it writer specific how about Pen/Quill/Writer in the name?

scribe.com
quills.com
Spectre-7
Student

PostPosted: Wednesday, 16 August 2006, 20:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherrera - I like both and would root for them, but unfortunately neither is available.

writeville.com
scribeville.com
descriptiveimpulse.com (waaaay too long)
litasylum.com

"...no one can teach anyone else to create; at most, we may be taught to read and write. The rest we must teach ourselves, stumbling, falling, and picking ourselves up over and over again." - Mario Vargas Llosa
webmaster
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wednesday, 16 August 2006, 20:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

S7, that Jedi graphic is awesome. Made my day.

I like all of your suggested domains. I also have one domain which I've not mentioned, because it's so good that if I list it, someone will register it immediately. However, like most of yours, it's writing-specific.

Do the members of this site feel that writing-specific domain names are OK? What do we do with the Art & Music forums? Non-issue?

-Tony

Spectre-7
Student

PostPosted: Wednesday, 16 August 2006, 21:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the more general you make the name, the less memorable it's going to be. This is especially a problem since there are so few words that describe a range of creative arts...

I tend to see writing as really the primary focus of the site, but I might be a little biased in that. I'll try and work in some less writing specific names as I go...

litdojo.com
artquarry.com
creatorsasylum.com
cosmiclathe.com <- almost an Ursula K. LeGuin reference there.
artiststruggle.com
creatorspotlight.com

I'll probably have more as I work through this wine bottle.

webmaster
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wednesday, 16 August 2006, 23:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitestar_drifter wrote:
I like the creativefate one... but when I think of this website I sort of think about the bard in each of us.

Well, that's interesting. You know, a "bard" is someone who sings, recites poetry, tells stories.... Might be fitting. And the word "bard" is hardly used for domains, so just about anything is available.

BARDFORUMS.COM
HAPPYBARD.COM
JAUNTYBARD.COM
WHERETHEBARDSARE.COM
BARDGATHERING.COM
MODERNDAYBARDS.COM
GREATBARDS.COM
BARDCOMMUNITY.COM
BARDRESOURCE.COM
BARDPLAY.COM
LIVINGBARDS.COM

Also, while I was typing in some possible names, I tried a few extras just for fun. Do any of these seem like good new names for Publisher Database?

FEATHERINYOURHAT.COM
THEYWANTEDMETOBEADOCTORORALAWYER.COM
SUPERNATURALTALENT.COM
GOWRITESTUFF.COM
GOCREATESTUFF.COM
COLDSWEETPLUMS.COM

-Tony

Deborah Lynne

votes: 31

PostPosted: Thursday, 17 August 2006, 3:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tony,
I like the Bard ideas, especially GREATBARDS.COM. It's short, simple and easy to remember. You may also consider....

THEBARDYARD.COM
BARDBRAINS.COM
BARDBEAT.COM

I've checked these and they are all available. Just thought I'd throw them out there.

haniel45

votes: 37

PostPosted: Thursday, 17 August 2006, 8:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1)wherethebardsare

(2)bardbrains

Unique, clever. serious, but not real serious.

~ Cindy ~

I like the "Jedi" but it's a bit limiting. Plus I think it will remind people of the obvious.

Duh, Cindy

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. ~ Henry David Thoreau (181762)

Last edited by haniel45 on Thursday, 17 August 2006, 13:55 PM; edited 1 time in total
Cherrera
Student

Reputation: 41.8Reputation: 41.8Reputation: 41.8Reputation: 41.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thursday, 17 August 2006, 10:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is this change going to take place?
webmaster
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thursday, 17 August 2006, 11:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever. Smile

-Tony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home -> Forums -> Official Stuff -> Publisher Database is changing names All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: