Weblogs News

Membership
Register
(It's free!)
Watched Topics
Edit Your Profile

Getting into the press
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home -> Forums -> Official Stuff -> Getting into the press
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rthomasthompson
Banned

PostPosted: Wednesday, 24 August 2005, 19:22 PM    Post subject: Might as well put my 2 cents in Reply with quote

God knows I understand what angst there is in wanting to be published, we all are looking for "THE BIG BREAK!" But what it really boils down to is giving the customer what they want. What does your customer want? Where is your customer at? The thing is, yesterday is gone, and this is a brave new world, really a "bold new world" and things which worked in the past, will hardly work today. That is why authors are dog-shied when it comes to agents, and publisher, and why the reverse is true as will. Taking a chance on the unknown. "I cain't do it. I jus cain't and ain't gonna do it!" We, as writers need to find out what works in today's market and apply those things to our writing indeavors. We have questions but no answers. We need answers, ready made for agent and publisher questions. We have skill, but no know how in what to do to over power "the powers that be" who are playing the 'buddy-buddy' game. I, personally, just don't think self publishing is the key. I can't afford it. I don't have the facilities an Agent or Publisher has, hell, I don't even know whatsername on tee-vee. Another thing is this: Is your work as good as you think it is? Are you as good a writer as you think you are? If so, find out what it is the customer wants, and give them what they want instead of just shoveling down their throats what you want to give them. I've seen and read a lot of stuff that I wouldn't even suggest a read to others except to say "How did it get there and mine can't?" for whatever reason. Even the "King James Holy Bible" had to wait its turn. Shakespeare and the greatest English writers of that time wrote it; and it still wasn't an instant success.

Okay solutions, after all that, one thing I believe is that as writers, instead of the big "One book wonder" you need a following, people who want to read what you, specifically, want to write. Or, in fact a large group of people, who want to read whatever the hell you write whatever it is you want to write about. In other words your name in some way shape or form must precede your work. That is what the pulitzer found out, name precedes work, Anne Rice, Stephen King &c know this. So it isn't about what you know, or who you know, but proving there is a need for you out there, you have a following out there and the agents and the publishers want to know, one thing "Where are the numbers?" I say the numbers is in the idea of this place PDB, especially, and this medium, especially, and others perhaps like it. But here there is good critical variable feed back, and a chance to figure how to get an audience. You write to this sample audience, and can figure your audience out there somewhere. Whether novel, poetry, fiction, or non-fiction, playwrite, artistry of whatever kind, a good sample audience is here and more are coming, so write and carve out your piece. It is not what you, the writer or the writer team thinks about your work but what those thousands or so of readers out there thinks about your work. Of course this is only true if you are about the money.

Okay speaking of m-o-n-e-y: Thing two, money is not in the writing but in the speaking about your writing, there is a little money in writing but a hell of a lot more in speaking about it. So the next thing is how do you get out there to speak about writing. Then you can take your books along and sell them on the side. There is not just the United States out there, and there is not just an English speaking community out there, everybody in the world reads and want to listen to what writers have to say, since (or if) it is as I think it is -- we are the greatest thinkers in the world anyway.

I could go on and on, of course soap box is sometimes my thing, anyway these are just a couple of suggestions roaming the garden of my mind; however I hope this is outside the box enough for you.

Socrates "married to Xanthippe, a legendary shrew," sustained baffle by the acclaim, "The Delphi oracle pronounced him: Wisest man in Greece;" until he discovered, while others alleged awareness without grasp, he at least was aware of his ignorance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
percmpnl
Banned

Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9

PostPosted: Thursday, 25 August 2005, 0:43 AM    Post subject: Pointing Out Reply with quote

You have pointed out very interresting facts,
are we to believe each and every statement!
People like to know how someone received their
information and before they pass it on; That said;
Marketing is the name of the game...Why? In the
first place you have to find why, how and what a
so called customer needs or is looking for. Why?
Than you can tailor your writing to suite that need.
second you can figure your Marketing Plan...I'm
not going to say Y... Lets take a closer look...
Your not Famous like a movie star, scientist,
political leader, criminal, than what are you...
How do you get a chance a big break and
be paid for what you love to do >(Writing)
I'll tell ya some things here:
not all, then you will take my job! Look around,
what do you see...Reality...that sells
people are curious; Simple as that...A biography
can work...People need to Laugh...can you help!
What elce do people want to be;
They want to know current events...did you happen
to see something...will many people want to know
about it! another good move is to affiliate a
million times. or simply pay to Advertise how
good are you?...Do it your self book are in demand!
etc.

Last edited by percmpnl on Monday, 10 October 2005, 13:08 PM; edited 2 times in total
rthomasthompson
Banned

PostPosted: Thursday, 25 August 2005, 15:22 PM    Post subject: You... asking me??????? Reply with quote

P-

You wrote:

Quote:
You have pointed out very interesting facts,
are we to believe each and every statement!
People like to know how someone received their
information and before they pass it on; That said;
Marketing is the name of the game...Why?

I don't know if this question is directed at me or this community as a whole. However, if you are asking me, whether you should believe me because I say so, the answer is absolutely not. I'd rather you not believe me and want to write, so badly that, you research and find ways and answers to your questions which work for you. Then get on the "soap box" here! and preach your sermon of what you found that works to K, Webmaster, and the rest of us, your "Amen brother and sister section." I don't write for any to believe me, I'm a skeptic; so, you don't have to believe anything I write, I don't even know if I believe it, so I beg you do not believe what I write.

Now with that written, in this community we should be working together and telling in this forum what we have found to work. For me the least expense possible; bus drivers and pizza delivery persons don't make a lot of money. I was just saying that I think to create an audience via poetry, or short-stories, in journals, magazines, e-zines &c. is a good way to start. E-zines because of the world appeal; mags because of the local appeal. I mean, if you have written a western s/s, then send it too a Texas or New Mexico publication. If Mormon, send it to Utah, pub. If about Seminoles, that goes to Florida, if Black foot Indians, that goes to the Dakotas and some parts of Canada, If about Coloured folk, or Hispanics, that goes to the super-big Metropolis. If you have written something East-coast, find someplace in NY. I hope you get my drift. Sometimes, starting out, not getting a thing but an audience, which leads to a following is a good thing. Sending to a mag or e-zine who will not take your rights, though no money, if they like your work, they will publish more, the more publish, the more letters you recieve back about your work, when you get a few hundred or thousand letters, emails &c. from all over the country or the world... it is time to get paid! Write your "Masterpiece", in the meantime cultivate your craft, get popular in an e-zine, or mag. be a regular contributor for a few months, don't give up the day and night job, see what happens. Send the results back to us. The question is not why, but how.

Socrates "married to Xanthippe, a legendary shrew," sustained baffle by the acclaim, "The Delphi oracle pronounced him: Wisest man in Greece;" until he discovered, while others alleged awareness without grasp, he at least was aware of his ignorance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
percmpnl
Banned

Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9

PostPosted: Tuesday, 30 August 2005, 10:02 AM    Post subject: You as a Community Reply with quote

ah Yes! I look for eighter or situations: heads or
You-got-it...Tails: you did'nt know how I meant my
comment...naturally you beged the question! Ok
my point is simple if I were to say the Bible was
printed in 1450 as it was! would you not ask for
some proff or reference...see! so as in a community
I would prefer statements with validity so as to
learn something I/We can pass around...I'd like to
know where dogs came from personally...but that said
please see some of my other posts, as I will look at
more of your posts to share! Thank you (percmpnl) Idea

rthomasthompson
Banned

PostPosted: Tuesday, 30 August 2005, 19:07 PM    Post subject: On Validity Reply with quote

P-

I took tales, because it appears to me you want trade secrets. Any skeptic will tell you that you have to find your own. Why? Because a skeptic's validity is in her/his fictional story. I am not a school teacher, or a professor, neither a college graduate nor a "wanna be" academic, I leave all that kind of stuff to the scholarly. Their schools give the tips or have the points to prove or impress, ergo ego, I have none of that either. I'm a school bus driver and a part time pizza delivery guy how can you believe a person who does that. I'm a person who hasn't a college degree, although E. A. Poe didn't have one, neither did, A. Einstein, so in that regard and as I said:

Quote:
whether you should believe me because I say so, the answer is absolutely not. I'd rather you not believe me and want to write, so badly that, you research and find ways and answers to your questions which work for you.

What works for one person doesn't or may not work for another. All I can do most times is point a direction (if I'm lucky). I leave others learning as a session of self-teaching or they can find a classroom and go back to school. I never thought this community was here to teach each other but help each other. You don't like the advice given, don't use it, -- and if you want, you can say why; give us all something to think about. If it isn't the answer you have pre-supposed as a directional response; too bad. How can one writer make another writer give the answer that is wanted? Can't happen, Never will....

We all wander around in this community to see what is being said about this and that, or to try this and that... that is the way it is with artists, metaphysics is the way of art, yet we all know that is not the way of science.

Quote:
if I were to say the Bible was
printed in 1450 as it was! would you not ask for
some proff or reference...see! so as in a community
I would prefer statements with validity so as to
learn something I/We can pass around...

There is no validity, that I know of... But of course I'm an extreme skeptic, so there wouldn't be... And sure it (the Bible) was written then; that is, if you are writing of the King James Bible, but there is also (for one meager example) the Koran, -- which is older than "The Bible." Then there comes query into where did King James, and his 20 writers led by Shakespeare, get there information to put it in the English language? Is the King James Holy Bible a work of art, or is it inspired by the word of God, or what... These types of ideas -- questions, answers, don't always come from one person telling another something of validity; they come from individual study, reading, interpreting, reasoning properly. Seems like to me you want someone that has done the work to just give you your answers that you need... it can't be done. You have to work and find the answer you need. You have to work and find what works for you. This is just a medium for a community of writers to use, to be directed by those which have been there, and want to help others. This is a community where one can be pointed in a direction when "writer's block" sets in, a community where, when we run out of ways or means for solution, others' ideas can be used for those times when you (or any of us) are unsure of the way a work may appear to our audience. All we here can do is just advise alternatives; the kitch stuff, the formulaic stuff, I leave to those which have some kind of scientific method of writing. If you want sience get a science book. This is art, there is no book; or rather besides, I haven't written it all yet (smile). You want absolutes, you want truth, you want validity; well... the only absolutes or truths or validated points I've ever seen come from serious fictional writings.

You want validity here is a valid point on truth a fable says:

Quote:
That Truth and Falsehood went bathing; Falsehood came first out of the water, and dressed herself in Truth’s garments. Truth, unwilling to take those of Falsehood, went naked.

percmpnl
Banned

PostPosted: Wednesday, 31 August 2005, 5:19 AM    Post subject: A closer look! Reply with quote

The Bible was printed in 1450 at the invention of
the typewriter and when it was written, is anybody's
guess! Now I would like to know the where about's
of the least expenisive Publishing/Book Printing
Press Company in the world can be...Anyone know?

webmaster
Site Owner

votes: 10

PostPosted: Saturday, 03 September 2005, 11:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lulu is probably the cheapest, in that they cost you nothing. They do set a base price which they keep for themselves, though. So to make money, you have to charge more than the base price.

http://www.lulu.com/about/whatislulu.php

-Tony

percmpnl
Banned

PostPosted: Saturday, 03 September 2005, 13:25 PM    Post subject: You get what you pay for! Reply with quote

Yes! Tony;
I will agree,
Now you can sell the Book to
Your Friends and family or give it away.
You will have your Book.
Selfsatisfaction Gurranteed
Is there more? How can the Author
market the book anyone know?

andybaston
Glorious Newborn

PostPosted: Wednesday, 21 February 2018, 1:39 AM    Post subject: Re: Getting into the press Reply with quote

http://officecomsetup-us.com/
MS Office setup is very easy to install, download and redeem. Use of MS Office is also simple and the user can learn the use of it easily. Online help option is also available in all application of the MS Office which provides an instant guideline.

http://officecomsetup.ca/
How you install or reinstall Office 365 or Office 2016 depends on whether your Office product is part of an Office for home or Office for business plan. If you're not sure what you have, see what office.com setup products are included in each plan and then follow the steps for your product.

http://officesetup-officecomsetup.com/
Office Setup, To get started with your Microsoft Office Installation you must need valid product key code & visit office com/setup and we can also help you with your entire process to setup office product online.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home -> Forums -> Official Stuff -> Getting into the press All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: