Usergroups
Blogs
Weblogs News

Membership
Register
(It's free!)
Watched Topics
Edit Your Profile

RESULTS AND WINNERS OF THE 2009 CHRISTMAS CAROUSEL (Stories)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home -> Forums -> Special Challenges -> RESULTS AND WINNERS OF THE 2009 CHRISTMAS CAROUSEL (Stories)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wordworx
Site Admin

votes: 83
Currently Reading: True Ghost Stories of Ireland

PostPosted: Friday, 08 January 2010, 20:36 PM    Post subject: RESULTS AND WINNERS OF THE 2009 CHRISTMAS CAROUSEL (Stories) Reply with quote

My apologies for being so late in getting this done, folks! I've been mobbed both at work, and in my photo-business as well. It's been a banner year for me in the latter regard, thankfully. I had to purchase a new refrigerator last month, and the local County Board of Stuporvisors upped my property taxes yet again. Politicians the world over shall always worship our Money above all else....

Without more ado, here are the results.

In the Members category:
First Place was another near-tie, separated by only one point as in the Poetry Carousel. However the winner is . . . Helen Herliana! Who now has earned 70 well-deserved reputation points for her emotionally-moving portrayal of a painful separation from a beloved sister in "The Christmas Gifts." A work so expressively emotive, it could well pass as non-fiction!

Second Place of course goes to one of Helen's mentors, and a close friend, for his delightful rendering a child's Christmas in 1950s Sheffield, England. Therefore let us congratulate our modern Monty Python of the new millennium, Roger Turner! Who will now receive 50 more points towards a new computer. (Virtual computer, I'm afraid, my friend.)

Third Place, and 30 reputation points, therefore goes to . . . Everardo!For his short, but cute story of being mistaken for Santa Claus. I still think you should work on that idea for the next Carousel, buddy!

It's late now, so I must be brief.

In the Moderators' category:
First Place was pretty much dominated throughout the competition by one moderator, and as has happened again, we have a repeat-winner. So Congratulations and 70 points are hereby awarded to . . . Poet1108! Who capably entertained us all with a multitude of inspiring Christmas tales. I knew this competition would bring out her creativity even more than the Hootenannies did!

Second Place, even after repeated and careful consideration, remains a tie! Therefore I'm awarding 50 points each (and my sincerest thanks) to . . . Peggy and Joyful Jan! Whose reminiscences-in-print moved each of us deeply. As Roger so accurately stated earlier, accounts of real life are often the more expressive---and meaningful.

Third Place was a close runner-up for Second Place as well. Nevertheless, let us applaud the authoress of "The Sidewalk Santa" . . . Deborah Lynne! Who has quite a bit to contend with due to her ever-growing family, but found the time to pen an auspicious Yuletide yarn for us as well!

It's nearing midnight in my time-zone now folks, and I have to rise in four and a half hours for one more day at the grindstone (figuratively speaking) before my days off. So tomorrow night I'll announce the material prizes for the First Placers; prizes which I think are quite unique, and shall have lasting sentimental value---and perhaps even material value, according to my old customers.

So Good Night to all for now; and my profound Gratitude to Each of You for your spirited and delightful contributions to this celebration of the Grandest Holiday in human history!

Workhorse Roy

Helen Herliana
Respected Advisor

votes: 16
Currently Reading: The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins

PostPosted: Saturday, 09 January 2010, 2:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'd like to thank Tony, the webmaster, Roy and other PDB moderators who give me a place, namely "The story teller's corner" to cultivate one of my hobbies, that is writing. Secondly I'm truly honored to be chosen the first place winner of Christmas Carousels (short story).

I would like also to thank Roger Turner for his endless support and encouragement and also for his priceless and precious guidance along the way. As you probably know, Roger himself is a great story teller. That's why I'm honored to have him as my mentor. And also Janice and Kay for their continuous support and encouragements too. Thank you Jan and Kay!

Last but not least I congratulate my fellow PDB writers Roger, Kay, Peggy, Janice, Deborah and Everardo. Let us keep writing, keep enjoying reading others' posts and keep posting.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ARPoet
Contender

votes: 25

PostPosted: Saturday, 09 January 2010, 6:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Helen.. you deserve it for your story was so good it had us all fooled into thinking it was a true story..

It has been a pleasure to be part of the Christmas Story thread, both as a reader and a writer, so well done one and all who took part.
Roger

Maggie

votes: 103
Currently Reading: "Snippets of Life" by Peggy Harwood

PostPosted: Saturday, 09 January 2010, 10:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everybody for the wonderful stories this year!!! This Carousel is by far and away the best PDB has ever had, and you've all made it happen. Roy, what can I say!!! You are a fantastic writer and phenomenal organizer, and the success of this contest in large part is your doing!!!

I just re-read the entries last night. We have a bunch of good=hearted, talented friends at PDB!!! I consider myself lucky to know you!!!

Take a brief breather folks and then sharpen your pencils again for the next contest, the Romance Round-up. Love is in the air!!! blob3 blob6 blob3 blob6 blob3 blob6 blob3 blob6

Peggy

Wordworx
Site Admin

votes: 83
Currently Reading: True Ghost Stories of Ireland

PostPosted: Saturday, 09 January 2010, 16:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much appreciate the kind words, folks, and all of you are quite welcome. Peggy, I did little except begin and coordinate these annual writing marathons, but I thank you for the confidence all the same.

Roger made an interesting suggestion, and I'm waiting to hear back from Tony on it. He proposed we should have a separate forum for these competitions. That would be nice, however I know that Tony would like for it be as active as possible also. Which would mean a number of ongoing writing contests. That can get to be a bit onerous, though. I'm quite familiar with another website which has literally dozens of constant challenge/contests of that sort, but no tangible prizes for the winners. (I think additional forums may cost a bit more with the hosting Server as well, but I'm not certain as to that.) However Roger's suggestion will be given due consideration, and I shall let y'all know.

In the meantime, here is what I intend as material prizes for the Story Carousel winners, if they prefer: personalized horseshoe statuettes (crafted by the Headless Horseman, himself). They take a couple of weeks to make, but with Peggy's generous contribution I can purchase the few items I lack; and I've still plenty of acetylene and oxygen for my metal-working torch from the last time I made these.

So let me know please, Helen and Kay? I make a number of different styles of these, but with the branding-iron model I can put your names on them.

Ironman Roy

Helen Herliana
Respected Advisor

votes: 16
Currently Reading: The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins

PostPosted: Saturday, 09 January 2010, 16:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I do not expect a material prize of any kind. For me, being able post my works here and being appreciated are the best prizes I have ever received from a website. But of course, Roy and Peggy, I highly appreciate your effort to make me happy. A handmade horseshoe statuette, especially crafted by you, Roy, is more priceless than any gift because you make it from your heart. (Isn't that correct, Kay?). In brief, This is the most beautiful Christmas and New Year I have ever had. I think A word of thanks isn't enough to express my gratitude to you. My prayers and blessings are with each of you every single day of this year..... God bless you! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Janice J Kennedy

PostPosted: Sunday, 10 January 2010, 9:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, for being late for congratulating everyone on their wins!!! Thank you Roy, you did a magificent job, on the challenges!!!

Peggy, I would like to say to you, I feel very honored in tying with you, you are such a good writer!!!

Roy, can't wait for the next challenge, to see what everyone will do then!!!

Hugs To All, Jan happy3 happy7 wav happy7 happy3

Maggie

votes: 103
Currently Reading: "Snippets of Life" by Peggy Harwood

PostPosted: Sunday, 10 January 2010, 9:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Jan!!! I feel the same way about you!!!

Peggy

poet1108
Banned

votes: 22

PostPosted: Sunday, 10 January 2010, 9:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jan and Peggy--it is with a great deal of joy and respect that I so appreciate serving beside the two of you as a moderator...I pray that my words of encouragement to the two of you have an impact equally or more than your words have been in support of me in my time here at PDB. I so appreciate your wisdom and your professionalism in our work together here at PDB. Looking forward to a fun year in 2010.....KayD
everardo

PostPosted: Thursday, 21 January 2010, 21:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy,
And all the other moderators and writers alike. I guess I was in so much shock over third place, I was silent over it all. Honestly, I didn't think my almost late entry would be anything much. Just a bit humorous but, wow...I got prize points? Amazing. Thanks, Roy. I am humbled for your generosity and kind spirit. Thank you, best regards, ev.
annashetty
Glorious Newborn

PostPosted: Tuesday, 31 October 2017, 20:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you.
---------------------------
Putlocker, 123movies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home -> Forums -> Special Challenges -> RESULTS AND WINNERS OF THE 2009 CHRISTMAS CAROUSEL (Stories) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: